Sunday, April 10, 2011

Autism: The New Discrimination

About a year ago, I talked you you about autism insurance legislation that was being proposed (finally) by the State of Vermont (click here to read the post). Quite intelligently, our legislators chose to pass this monumental reform. Fast forward several months, and now our Governor (formerly one of the senators who pushed this legislation) has proposed rescinding this legislation.


Why, you ask? It's the same old 'why': $$Money$$. Apparently, what was essential a year ago is now too expensive to fund. You see, Vermont is considering single-payer helthcare. So, what previously would have been legislation that would have placed the oness on insurance companies, now --- should single payer pass --- now has the potential to put the financial "burden", so to speak, on the state.


I don't care.


Autism isn't a political issue and coverage shouldn't even be debated. Why are our children and families --- people living with a diagnosis not brought about by any careless outside force --- discriminated against, and yet states have chosen to assure the coverage of alcohol and drug treatments?


I think it's a good question. It's one I asked Governor Shumlin in a letter I'm mailing Monday. I asked him a few others in the letter as well (including a couple "what ifs"). Now here's hoping the letter will even make it into his hands. I'll ask for your help by posting a link to this article on Facebook & Twitter.


I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it's going.


~Jon

No comments: