Sunday, January 11, 2009

Denis Leary's Autism Comments

I'm taking a little diversion from talking about the booklet so I can share with you a concern. There's been a little gap since my last post because I've been working on an article for Associated Content, and the subject matter may interest you.

Apparently, Denis Leary of Rescue Me, and the voice of the saber-tooth tiger Diego in the Ice Age movies, has released a new book (Why We Suck: A Feel-Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid), and it's causing some stir. Most specifically, Chapter 6 entitled "Autism Schmautism" has raised the ire of the autism community, and autism advocates like Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson Peete.

Since the October, 2008 release of quotes from his book, Leary has said the quotes were taken out of context but has apologized. Sort of. I won't get into the commentary here, but you can read my article over at Associated Content.

There. I feel better now.

~Jon

No comments: